Photo by meghannash
I haven’t done an inspiration post in a few months, so I thought it was time to share what’s been inspiring me lately. We’ve been patiently (or not so patiently, depending how you look at it) waiting for spring to arrive since March, and then all the sudden the last two days it has been over 80 degrees! We’re enjoying it as much as we can because it’s supposed to rain for the next week straight! At least it will be good for my garden!
Warmer temperatures always inspire me in new ways, so here’s some of the things I’m into this month!
What I’m Reading:
I don’t know why, but I’m having a hard time finishing books lately. I start a book, and it’s really good, but then I hear about another book I want to read and so I dive into that, and before I know it I have three (or more) unfinished books on my nightstand. Right now I’m reading:
- Love is an Orientation – So good and so convicting to me – not just about how I (and the church) relate to the GLBT community but how we relate to, and should strive to love and serve, anyone that does not fit into our neat little “Christian” box. This guy is right on with how we need to see others and love others in a way that truly reflects Jesus.
- Green Like God – I got this book recommendation from Megan at Sorta Crunchy (she always has such great books that she’s reading) and I’m just a chapter or two into it, but I can’t wait to finish it and then share it with everyone I know that has an inclination toward combining their faith and green living (and even those that don’t). Good, solid stuff.
- Healthy Child, Healthy World – This is kind of a back to the basics book for me, and while I probably already know a lot of the information in it, it’s still a good reminder, and I’m sure that I will pick up more tips and ideas for creating a healthier home for my family. I think this would be a great book to read if you were just starting out on your green journey and looking for a place to start and easy steps to take toward a safer and more natural lifestyle.
What I Want to Read:
- A Praying Life – my wonderful sister sent me such an encouraging email when she was reading this book, and ever since I have wanted to read it for myself.
- Make Your Place – I’m always looking for new “green” books to give me ideas and inspiration for my journey.
Do you have any book recommendations for me? I’m dreaming of days spent reading outside while watching the kiddos play – the reality is that doesn’t happen as often as I’d like, but it’s still fun to dream isn’t it?!
Also, I just wanted to take a minute to mention my favorite online book retailer – Better World Books.
They are just the best company for buying books. They offer free shipping worldwide, all the time, with no minimum purchase. They have tons and tons of used books in stock (I would much rather buy a copy of a used book than a new one), and they also work with thousands of retailers who also have used books in stock and ship for free. I have found their selection to be just as good as Amazon’s, if not better for used books, and their prices can’t be beat.
They are a triple bottom line company that works to help people and the planet by funding literacy programs worldwide and collecting and reselling used books which keeps them out of landfills. They also buy back used books, so if you’re looking to make a little money from books that you no longer need, you can see if they will buy them from you. You can feel good buying from them, knowing that your purchase is making a difference and that you’re buying from a socially and environmentally responsible company!
Oh, did I also mention that their headquarters is in Mishawaka, IN – so they are a local company to me!
(I did not receive anything from BWB to say all these great things about them – I just think it’s such a great company to support! I am an affiliate of BWB though, and will receive a small commission for purchases made through my links. Thanks for supporting Live Renewed!)
What I’m Listening To:
Recently my hubs added a Mumford and Sons station to our Pandora, and it is so, so good. Not only are Mumford and Sons one of the best bands I have heard in a long time, the mix of music on the station is just perfect. I’m contemplating mixing my Sara Barielles station with the Mumford and Sons station, but don’t want to mess either one of them up. Maybe I’ll just have to create a new “Everything Great” station!
Picture from SimpleBites.net
In the Kitchen:
The hot weather has me inspired to make some yummy iced drinks and cool snacks. Here’s a few of my favorites or ones that I want to try.
- Cold Brewed Coffee and Tea from Simple Bites – This cold brewed coffee makes the best iced vanilla coffee for an afternoon pick me up. I also used it last year to make homemade frappuccinos, which were awesome, and I’ll have to figure out the recipe again and share it with you!
- Green Smoothies – We hadn’t been drinking too many of these lately because they just don’t sound good when you’re already cold. But with spinach in season and the warmer temperatures, these are back to making a regular appearance at our house.
- Water Keifer from Keeper of the Home – I am so excited to try making water kefir this summer. Sometimes a carbonated beverage (usually pop) sounds so good to me in the summer time, and this would be a much, much healthier option. I know my kids would love it too!
- Frozen Fruit “Ice Cream” – I still can’t believe how easy and yummy this is! I know this will be a favorite of my kiddos this summer!
- Frozen Pineapple Banana Cups from Sprinkled with Flour – these sound so yummy and refreshing – like a little mini-vacation.
I’m loving watching some of my favorite bloggers starting and growing their gardens!
Kate @ Kinda Crunchy Kate – Adventures in Gardening
Mandi @ Green…Your Way – Planting, Trellising and Watering
Christianne @ Little Page Turners – How to Square Foot Garden
Jenica @ Magnolia & Boothe – Planting their garden