This is Day 17 of the Green in 365 series!
A typical complaint during the winter months is dry skin. Between being indoors most of the day with the heat running, and the lack of humidity in the air, our skin needs extra pampering during the winter months. But, that doesn’t have to mean slathering on lotions and creams that are full of toxic chemical ingredients. There are many ways to safely and naturally moisturize your skin during the winter months.
• Use Castile Soap in the shower – I have found that since I began using castile soap in the shower as my body wash and for shaving, that my skin is much healthier and I have less need for lotion and moisturizers, even during the winter.
• Use the Oil Cleansing Method to wash your face – Ever since I started using this method to wash my face several years ago I have not battled the red, dry and flaky skin that I used to. The oil is so moisturizing while you cleanse your face, and if you feel like you need a little extra moisture you can use just a small amount of the oil to rub into your skin before bed.
• Use Coconut Oil as a moisturizer – You can use straight coconut oil as a wonderful moisturizer all year long, but I especially like it during the winter. Unrefined coconut oil is best, and has a nice subtle coconut scent. If you’re interested, here’s more about the benefits and uses of coconut oil.
• Make Homemade Lotion – I made this lotion in the fall and have loved using it during these winter months. It’s great for after-shower moisturizing and also for slathering on my dry hands before bed.
• Use a Homemade Sugar or Salt Scrub – It’s also important to exfoliate during the winter to remove the dry and dead skin cells. My favorite scrubs come from the ebook Simple Scrubs to Make and Give, and I especially love the Brown Sugar Spiced Scrub for the winter months!
How do you keep your skin healthy and moisturized during the winter months?
Find all the Green in 365 posts.
If you’d like to learn more about living green and living frugally I’d love to have you as a Live Renewed reader! You can subscribe, either by email or in a reader, to get the latest posts, ideas and inspiration for living frugally green. You can also connect with me on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest!
*Disclosure – There are affiliate links in this post. If you make a purchase through one of my links, I’ll receive a small commission. Thanks for supporting Live Renewed!
Oh, you’ve hit on 3 of my favorites – castille soup (peppermint and lavendar are my favs!), coconut oil and homemade sugar scrubs! Just made my first over the holidays and gifted to a few folks, most importantly myself! 😉
I’m addicted to Celadon Road’s Body Butter! I use it on myself (including my face) and on my 2 daughters. Even my husband uses it once in a while. Love, love, love it. It has just a light coconut scent and is made from organic ingredients that are so soothing for my skin.
Emily @ Live Renewed says
Thanks for sharing Hillory! I’ll have to check that out!
Kristina (The Greening Of Westford) says
I love coconut oil as a moisturizer!!!! It’s great as an eye cream and eye makeup remover as well. I’ll have to try castille soap in the shower.