This is Week 5 of the 2013 Fitness Challenge.
Brrrrr! Happy Monday! Can you believe it’s February already!
We’re half way through the fitness challenge, and I’m happy with my progress in some ways, and not in others. I’m happy with the running that I’ve been able to fit in. It feels good to get out and run and have some quiet and alone time.
I’m finding that running is therapeutic for me in a way I didn’t expect. My dad was always very active, even biking in the last few months before he passed away, and so my thoughts usually travel to him at some point during my run. I imagine him being proud of me, as well as pushing me along when I get tired. Then I often become overcome with grief, to the point that I struggle to breathe because I’m crying so hard, which makes it a little hard to run.
But I’m pounding out my sorrow on the pavement, and working through some of my pain with every step. When I decided to train for a half-marathon this year, I didn’t know that running would become part of my grieving process, but I’m thankful for it, and actually find myself looking forward to my runs for the small sense of healing they are bringing me.
It’s hard to believe that on Monday and Tuesday last week I ran outside in balmy spring-like weather while all the snow melted completely away, and now we’re covered in several inches of snow again!
When I can’t get out and run, the weather has put quite a damper on my workout routine. It’s hard for me to get motivated when all I want to do is curl up with a mug of coffee and a book. Doing workout videos don’t have the same feeling or effect for me as running does, so I don’t look forward to them, or make them a priority, the way I do with my running. That’s something I need to work on this week, because I don’t know if I’ll be able to get outside to run.
Update on my Fitness Goals this week:
• Workout 3x per week – hopefully running 2x and a yoga or workout DVD on the other day, weather permitting – I ran twice at the beginning of the week last week, but then no workouts for the rest of the week!
• Be able to run 3 miles, 3x per week, and 4 miles on the weekend by the end of the challenge, beginning of March, to start the half-marathon training schedule – I was able to run 2.5 miles one day, and 3 miles the next day, with a few walking breaks, so I’m feeling good about my progress. If only I could get outside to run more!
• Make major progress on healing my diastasis, and lose inches off my waist, by working through the videos on Fit2B six days a week – Again, I did the diastasis videos 3 days this week, but still need to fit them in more often!
• Lose at least 5-10 lbs – Lost 1 more pound this week, which brings my total to 6 pounds lost! Please remember that I am nursing my 7 1/2 month old baby and that makes a big difference in my weight loss.
• Fit back into my pre-pregnancy jeans by the end of the challenge – My jeans are still too tight to wear comfortable in public, but I’m moving in the right direction!
2.4.13 – Goals for the Week:
So my goals for this week, based off of my overall set of goals are:
- Schedule my workouts so I can be more consistent.
- Do 3 workout videos indoors this week.
- Squeeze in a run at the end of the week if the weather cooperates, it’s supposed to warm up a bit.
- Do the diastasis healing videos at least 5 days this week.
Oops, I forgot to take a picture yesterday. I’ll have one for you next week!
• Weight: 158 lbs. (1 lb. lost)
• Waist at Belly Button: 37″ (lost 1/2″ from last week)
Be sure to check-in with us on Facebook, where I post my exercise plans for the day, and encouragement to keep up with your fitness goals!
Also, my friends Beth at Red and Honey and Erin at The Humbled Homemaker have started their own fitness challenges to heal their diastasis after recently having their third babies. Follow along with them for even more inspiration and encouragement!
How did you do on your fitness goals this week? How do you fit working out into your busy days? What are your goals for the coming week?
If you’d like to learn more about living green and living frugally I’d love to have you as a Live Renewed reader! You can subscribe, either by email or in a reader, to get the latest posts, ideas and inspiration for living frugally green. You can also connect with me on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest!
*Disclosure – I received a 3 month membership to Fit2B to review the program as a part of this fitness challenge, but my opinions are always my own.