Our family has been moving toward eating more grain-free over the past few months, and I’ve been trying to replace some of our old favorite recipes with good grain-free alternatives. One of my kid’s favorite things for breakfast, or a snack, is muffins and I have a healthier banana bread muffin recipe that we love.
I tried one grain-free banana muffin recipe and it just didn’t go over well – it tasted too much like eggs and over-ripe bananas. Not a good combo! But, we had made the grain-free pumpkin muffins from Healthy Snacks to Go, and Katie mentioned in the comments of the recipe that they might be good with banana instead of pumpkin. So I gave it a try, and they were a hit! And now these are our go-to grain-free muffins.
Grain-Free Banana Muffins
- 5 large eggs
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 overripe bananas, approx. 1 cup, mashed
- 1/2 tsp Real Salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
• Preheat oven to 375°
• Beat eggs, coconut oil, and maple syrup together until smooth. Add bananas, salt and vanilla and mix together thoroughly.
• Add coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg in a pile on the top of the batter and stir together with a fork before mixing into the rest of the batter. Mix until the batter is combined and smooth.
• Line your muffin tins with paper liners (keeps muffins from sticking) and drop 2+ spoonfuls into each cup. Smooth the tops of the muffins with your spoon. The muffins will not raise much, and will bake in the shape that they are in, so if you don’t want wonky muffins, you need to smooth the tops off before baking.
• Bake at 375° for 22-28 minutes. They are done when the tops feel springy and not wet. Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan before transferring to a cooling rack.
Makes a dozen muffins. Enjoy!
*Adapted from the grain-free muffin recipe in Healthy Snacks to Go, for more tips and techniques for grain-free baking along with more grain-free muffin variations and 30+ more snack recipes, pick up your own copy of Healthy Snacks to Go! This is probably my most favorite and most used eCookbook!
More Delicious, Healthy and Kid-Friendly Recipes!
*Disclosure – There are affiliate links in this post. If you make a purchase through one of my links, I’ll receive a small commission. Thanks for supporting Live Renewed!