This is Day 174 of the Green in 365 series!
Last week we talked about throwing a Green Birthday Party, and today I have some great Healthy Birthday Cake options to share with you!
Healthy Cake and Birthday Treats
The cake is the centerpiece of any good birthday party, isn’t it? I will be honest and tell you that I have not really jumped on the healthy birthday cake train. When my oldest daughter turned one we made an applesauce cake that none of the adults wanted to eat, and one year I tried to make cupcakes from scratch and they just didn’t turn out at all!
For my baby’s first birthday a few weeks ago we used a “natural” box cake mix that I felt pretty good about the ingredients list – much better than a regular box cake, that’s for sure! I made homemade whipped cream frosting and strawberries on top, and while it wasn’t very pretty, it tasted good and my daughter went crazy for the whipped cream and strawberries – she couldn’t have cared less about the actual cake!
Fortunately though, many of my lovely blogging friends have some amazing healthy, allergy-friendly cake and birthday dessert recipes if that’s what you’re looking for!
• Lovely Gluten Free Vanilla Birthday Cake or Cupcakes from Simply Smiles
• Allergy Friendly Chocolate Cake made with garbanzo bean flour and gluten, grain, refined sugar, tree-nut, egg, and dairy-free (whew!) from The Humbled Homemaker.
• Dairy Free Cake Icing from The Humbled Homemaker
• Chocolate Coconut Cake from Stacy Makes Cents
• This fruit cake is a great idea for a 1st birthday, or summer birthday, or really for any kid that loves fruit!
• Allergy-Free Cupcake Recipe for baby’s first birthday from Growing Slower
• Homemade Brownie Ice Cream Cake from The Nourishing Home – Um, YUM! This looks amazing!
• One of our families favorite is Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream, I would love to try this Homemade Mint Chip Ice Cream with Dairy and Sugar-Free options from Whole New Mom!
• These Chocolate Chip “Cheesecake” Filled Cupcakes from Whole New Mom also look amazing!
You may also need some coloring for the cake’s frosting, but you want to avoid the petroleum-filled, artificial dyes of course. Here are tutorials for natural blue, yellow, red, green, and purple food coloring.
Maybe all these healthy birthday cake options will help me to jump on the healthy birthday cake train for our next birthday party?!
Do you have a favorite healthy birthday cake or treat recipe? Please share it with us in the comments!
Find all the Green in 365 posts.
If you’d like to learn more about living green and living frugally I’d love to have you as a Live Renewed reader! You can subscribe, either by email or in a reader, to get the latest posts, ideas and inspiration for living frugally green. You can also connect with me on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest!
*Disclosure – There are affiliate links in this post. If you make a purchase through one of my links, I’ll receive a small commission. Thanks for supporting Live Renewed!
Please visit our Sponsors:
Diaper HQ – Your cloth diaper headquarters.
List PlanIt – Lists to put your world in order.
Jenuinely Pure – 100% natural and pure products for the body, face, home and baby.
Mighty Nest – Every product sold on Mighty Nest is free of harmful chemicals and handpicked for durability and design.