So y’all, I want more than anything to just pour you a cup of coffee with my homemade vanilla creamer, and cozy up on my couch, with toys scattered around on my floor and dirty dishes in my sink and just chat like friends, like sisters, because that’s what we are in Christ.
I’m an extrovert, so talking is how I process my thoughts and feelings, how I organize things in my mind before I can truly know what I think and believe. Talking is usually what I do before I sit and write the words on the page.
But today my fingers will have to do the talking.
Sister, I am wrecked. Overwhelmed. Broken. But it’s also like the sun bursting through the clouds.
God is speaking into my life and moving my heart in such mighty ways. Has been for years, but I feel like it’s all coming together now.
I recently shared the books that I have read that changed my life, and I feel like this is a journey that I have been on for years, and I’m finally beginning to see why, although I still have no idea where it will lead or what it will really mean for my life.
It’s just – you know when you have thoughts and feelings about things that you feel like God is speaking to you and teaching you and then you hear the same thing from different places all around you: other books you’re reading, close friends or family, bible studies, speakers at church or a conference? That’s where I’m at right now.
I listened to some of the talks from the IF:Gathering two weekends ago and Oh.My.Goodness – I felt like I could have said so many of the words myself. Like the speakers had crawled inside my head and saw all of my jumbled thoughts and feelings and put them into beautiful, eloquent, heart-wrecking words.
The tagline of the IF:Gathering is: If God is real, then what? And it’s the “Then what?” that is wrecking me.
It’s Big. And it all about Him and His redemptive work for humanity.
My heart is beating care for the poor, the marginalized, the oppressed, the invisible.
I changed my tagline to Live with Compassion. Care for Creation. Impact Your World!, because these are the things I am passionate about and want to share here in this space. You will notice more faith based posts here going forward. I’ll still be including practical green and natural living DIYs and tips, but my heart is seriously overflowing with thoughts and words on all that I am learning and ways that I am growing.
So I wanted to share a few of the things that I’ve been into lately – the things I am reading and listening to, and absolutely ravenous for. Like I can’t get enough, I can’t read or listen or learn or get enough of it, or fast enough.
What I’m Into: February
(Inspired by Leigh Kramer)
(I’m in the middle of several books right now because I seriously want to read them all at the same time!)
• Jesus Feminist: An Invitation to Revisit the Bible’s View of Marriage by Sarah Bessey – I recently finished reading this and cannot recommend it enough. True, important words are spoken in this book. And it has changed my marriage in just a few weeks. More on that another day.
• Everyday Justice: The Global Impact of Our Daily Choices by Julie Clawson – I feel like I’ve read this book before I’ve even read it. It just fits so perfectly with so many things I have been learning and thinking about over the past year or so.
• Say Goodbye to Survival Mode: 9 Simple Strategies to Stress Less, Sleep More, and Restore Your Passion for Life by Crystal Paine – Have I mentioned we’ve lived in survival mode quite a lot around here in the past few years. This book is just full of helpful and practical advice!
• Notes from a Blue Bike: The Art of Intentional Living in a Chaotic World by Tsh Oxenreider – I was excited to review this book and the stories Tsh shares about her life have just drawn me in and her family’s outlook on life is such an inspiration to me!
• And iBloom in Business: Equipping You to Build a Successful Business while Living a Life You Love! by Kelly Thorne Gore – For blogging and writing and working from home.
Listening and Watching
• Half the Church: Recapturing God’s Global Vision for Women by Carolyn Curtis James – I got this book with a free trail at Audible.com and I am LOVING having a book right on my phone to listen to any time – when I’m doing dishes, folding laundry, cooking, driving in the car, I can’t get enough of this book.
• Who’s the Boss in Your Marriage? – This sermon had a serious impact on me. The way he describes submission to others through Christ as opposed to wold’s way of one-upping each other was so powerful.
• Downton Abbey – Of course, I love this show and just watched a marathon of them on my DVR to get ready for the finale on Sunday. So sad it’s over again so soon!
• The Olympics – Is there anyone that doesn’t enjoy watching the Olympics? It is taking too much of my time and sleep away right now!
Blogs I Can’t Get Enough Of
I’m having a new love affair with faith-based bloggers and these are the ones I can’t wait to read when a new post comes out:
Thought Provoking Articles
- The Invisible America – this will change the way you look at poor people in our country
- ‘In God We Trust – But We Have Put Our Faith in Guns’
Instagram of the Month
Well, I haven’t been super active on IG recently, I need to get back into taking more pictures and sharing more of daily life over there. You can follow me on IG at instagram.com/emilymcclements
One night my babe took a late nap, so she stayed up with me and watched some Olympics after the older kids were in bed. She was amazed at the bobsleds!
I hope you all are having a fabulous week! If you’ve read a thought provoking article, or have a blog you love (even yours!) please leave a link in the comments and I’ll try to check them out this weekend!
*Disclosure – There are affiliate links in this post. If you make a purchase through one of my links, I’ll receive a small commission. Thanks for supporting Live Renewed!