Photo by Bruno C.
I know how it might come across sometimes – that I have it all together, I have it all figured out, that my life and my family and my kids are perfect, okay maybe not completely perfect, but at least close.
I know that it can come across this way sometimes because I am am a blog reader, as well as a blog writer. I read others’ blogs and think – Their house must be perfectly clean and spotless all the time, Her kids are so well behaved she probably has so much time to get all the stuff done she needs to get done everyday, She eats perfectly all the time, They are the poster green family – reducing, reusing, recycling – living the perfect green life.
I’ve thought those things when I read other blogs, so I’m willing to guess that you’ve probably thought them while reading my blog too (at least I think so, otherwise I’m sounding very arrogant right about now).
Well, I’m hear to tell you today that I am not perfect at any of this all the time ever. I struggle, and get overwhelmed, and fail just like everybody else. I am still learning and growing and figuring this whole green and frugal living thing out.
So, in honor of Valentine’s Day (or not), in case you need some more evidence, here are my confessions from recent days.
Top 10 Not So Frugally Green Confessions
1. I have not meal planned in almost a month. It is killing me to not have a plan, but now I’m having a hard time getting back into the habit.
2. Maybe because of the lack of meal planning, and also because of the lack of time, I have not been cooking from scratch as much as I would like. We have many more items of boxed and processed foods in our cupboards right now than I’d like to admit – although I make myself feel better about it by telling myself that they are at least Meijer Naturals and Organic brands so they’re not that bad – right?
3. I have not been using my homemade dishwasher detergent or homemade laundry detergent in quite a while. I still believe in them, and want to get back to using them, but they stopped working for me for some reason, and I haven’t put in the time and energy to trouble shoot what the problem might be.
4. I’ve been cheating and turning my thermostat up because it’s been zero degrees here lately. (Although it was in the 30’s this weekend which was ironically like a heat wave!)
5. I just had to buy more plastic ziplock baggies because I keep throwing mine away instead of washing and reusing them.
6. The ‘no poo method is seriously not working for me right now. I am still doing it, but I have nasty hair and am seriously considering going back to regular shampoo if I can’t get it figured out in this next week.
8. Routine – what routine? Life has looked much different since I started working part time and I can’t seem to get back into a regular routine.
9. My son’s bum has been covered in a disposable diaper much more often than a cloth diaper lately. I think I’m seriously pushing the limits of “part-time” cloth diapering.
10. I haven’t even ordered my seeds yet for my garden this summer. Okay, this one is kind of facetious, I needed a #10 to round out my top ten list, but I have been reading posts on other blogs about ordering seeds and starting to plan for this season of gardening, and while I am definitely dreaming of spring – that is one thing I haven’t jumped on yet, but it’s definitely on my list of things to do!
So, there you have it my real-but-so-not-perfect life, that I love and wouldn’t trade for anything, because it’s mine! I am on this journey right along with all of you, I am learning and growing and trying new things all the time, and I love that you have chosen to come along on this journey with me!
Now it’s your turn, give me some of your Not So Frugally Green Confessions in the comments so I know I’m not all alone here!
If after reading all that, you’d still like to read more, I’d love to see more of you! Subscribe to my e-mail updates, or in a reader, to be sure you don’t miss a single post. You can also connect with me on Twitter and Facebook!
Visit ohAmanda for more great Top 10 lists!