I am always on the lookout for super easy, and super healthy, recipes to mix things up for my kiddos and get them eating foods they may be reluctant to eat otherwise.
Avocados are full of healthy fats that are great for little ones (and big people too!) to add to their diet. My son will eat avocados plain with just a little bit of salt. My daughter… not so much.
But, most kids love to dip things, mine included. So, when I want to get them to try something new, or eat something they may not otherwise eat, I make a dip.
As much as I love guacamole (sometime I’ll have to post my hubs’ recipe, because he always makes it and it is SO GOOD!), it takes a lot of time and energy to make – all that chopping – and requires ingredients that I don’t usually just have on hand. So we save the guac for special occasions.
Instead, I mix up this dip, and I love that it is so easy, and yummy. It also includes fresh garlic, which is so great to eat this time of year for helping to fight off colds and sickness.
And my kids love it! We even ran out of carrots for dipping in it last time, so they just ended up eating it with their fingers out of the bowl. If that’s not a good review, I don’t know what is!
Easy Avocado Dip
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 Tbsp plain yogurt (you can add more if you like it a little creamier)
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped (I just use my garlic press)
- 1/8 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- splash of lemon or lime juice
• Scoop the avocado out of the peel and mash it up in a small bowl.
• Add the rest of the ingredients and mash/stir to combine. Taste and adjust if necessary. If it’s too strong, add a little extra yogurt, if it’s not strong enough, add a little more of the spices, but be careful not to overdo it!
• Serve with veggies, crackers or tortilla chips to dip, or use as a spread for sandwiches.
*Bonus Tip: Keep the pit of the avocado and put it in the dip, or guacamole, to keep it from turning brown!
For more delicious ways to eat avocado, check out this great list from Stacy at A Delightful Home.
What’s your, or your kid’s, favorite way to eat avocados?
If you’d like to learn more about living green and living frugally I’d love to have you as a Live Renewed reader! You can subscribe, either by email or in a reader, to get the latest posts, ideas and inspiration for living frugally green. You can also connect with me on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest!